Tuesday 24 June 2008

Squeaky bum time

Could this years European Championship semi finals be more entriging. Both pit a well fancied team against a pre tournament under dog. We have the always reliable Germans who have only turned up in one game this year, against Portugal in the quarter final. Never beaten Turkey are there opponents, who have equaled there best performance in tournament since the 2002 world cup where they lost to Brazil in the semi final. In the other semi-final we have stuttering Spain against for me the best team in the tournament, Russia.

The Spanish have struggled to re-capture the form that saw them beat Russia in there opening group game. Russia have failed to repeat the form they showed in that game as well and have gradually improved as the tournament has progressed. There dismantlement of Holland in the quarters was the most impressive performance of the tournament. And going into there game against Spain for me they are clear favorites. Spain haven't been the same team sine they beat Russia 4-1 in there group game. The beat Sweden and Greece 2-1 with very late goals and very unimpressive performances. The other night they overcame Italy in a shocking game with a comprehensive penalty win. For me I can't see past Russia, they won't make the same mistakes as they did in the first game Villa and Torres have been pretty poor since the first game and I don't think they will have enough to overcome a fast paced Russian side

In the other semi I can see a just as comprehensive win for the Germans. They clearly have more in the tank after beating Portugal and with Turkey having such difficult injury and suspension problems I just don't think there will be enough minutes in the game to save Turkey this time.

So I'm predicting a Germany-Russia final, which I'm sure I will be previewing on Saturday, however which part of this championship has been predictable?

1 comment:

Shaun said...

Disagree about Spain (though I would!)

They've faced teams who have tried to stifle them (and done so successfuly) - Russia are more open, which plays into their hands. After getting past the quarters they'll realy start to believe as well.

Germany/Spain final for me.